Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Starbucks School

One of the benefits of homeschooling is that we don't have to be at home to do school!  
We've been having colds and other various illnesses at our house lately.  (Thankfully, after lots of medicine and prayer we are all well now.)  On this particular day I felt like we had been cooped up in our house trying to get better for too long.  We needed to get out.  So I had the boys put their stacks of papers and books in their backpacks, grabbed our computer and headed out the door to the local Starbucks.  After ordering coffee, kid's hot cocoas, and a few baked treats, we settled down and got to work.  Here is The Free One doing some Math homework in between sips of cocoa.


Taking advantage of Starbuck's WiFi, The Anchor completes some lessons on Reading Eggs.  If you don't know what this is check out www.readingeggs.com.  It is a great online program that teaches kids to read through lessons, videos, and games.  My boys love it and they really do learn!


 Here, the Free One is reading a Winnie-the-Pooh book to his little brother.


And these guys in the background...  What were they doing?  They were sitting and staring at each other exactly like this for almost an hour.  They weren't even talking.  It was so strange!  I pretended to take a picture of my son so they wouldn't know I was really taking a picture of them.
 

After all their work was finished I let them sit on the couch and watch a movie on the i-pad.  Again, thank you Starbucks WiFi!  I got a little "me" time which included checking of e-mail and such on the computer, talking on the phone a bit, and reading the Bible.



I have to say that I highly recommend Starbucks School.  I hope to schedule this in more often!  
So tell me, all you home-schoolers out there, where is the most unusual place you've done school?

8 comments:

  1. In a laundry basket on top of the dryer...
    Outside of Cambria's ballet class reading missionary biographies out loud...
    I can't think of any more right now :)

    Haha!! That is so funny about those 2 guys!

    Love the idea. I think I'll try the Starbucks school idea. We usually just use that as a place for one on one dates with the kids and for blogging time for me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, I've see your laundry basket on the top of the dryer picture! That is so funny. I guess it's warm and cozy up there. I love that you blog at Starbucks and have one on one dates with the kids. That is a great idea!

      Delete
  2. Tough question because we are always "schooling". Maybe some of the ER visits and Michael's hospital stay upon his diagnosis of diabetes were some strange places to "do school". Of course, that was not so much in a usual textbook way. Still, very good times to learn.

    I like the Starbuck's school. I could get used to that if it weren't so expensive and if they could comfortably seat 6 together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie, it would definitely be harder to do (and more expensive) with six for sure!

      Delete
  3. The two guys in the background is hilarious. Proves my theory that men don't know how to just sit and TALK to each other! We do "Panera Bread School" when we get in a rut, so I loved this! Found you at the WLW link-up, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, thanks for stopping by. Penera Bread sound lovely. We don't have one of those near us.

      Delete
  4. JCinNYC26.3.12

    I love Starbucks School! And I love your photo of the Starbucks Starers:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JC, I love Starbucks School too. It's pretty fun and I get to observe some interesting characters. The last time we went someone offered us some of their food right after he had told someone else that he was recovering from the flu. So weird.

      Delete

You're next...